M&G’s Arts Encounter program represents our best efforts to combat South Carolina’s academic challenges. Our certified education staff utilizes the power of arts-integrated curriculum to increase student interest and improve student academic performance. Arts-integration is the well-researched, rapidly-growing methodology of education that promotes student learning in both the arts and across all core subjects, including STEM topics, social studies, and literature. By using the arts in every lesson plan for all classroom subjects, M&G’s educational team is able to visualize for students the difficult concepts they need to succeed in school and in life.
The three distinct elements of the Arts Encounter program are:
M&G’s state-certified educator partners with South Carolina public and private schools to bring in-school and arts-integrated lessons that meet state standards to thousands of K–12 students every academic year. In the last completed academic year (2015-2016), MOM reached 10,633 K–12 students, a 25 percent increase from the previous year’s attendance.
Through this in-museum lesson program, M&G’s trained educators host thousands of students and teachers each year, using more than ten arts-integrated formats to teach a variety of core subjects including geometry, literature, and social studies. The CDT program served over 2,484 K–12 students in the 2015-2016 academic year.
Carefully designed by M&G educators to combat summer learning loss among the Upstate’s K–8 students, Kids Create! features a compelling mixture of learning sessions and hands-on art projects, all designed to integrate art into every day experiences. Special guest lecturers are featured, allowing students to make the connection between the abstract nature of art creation and everyday life and work. The Kids Create! event attendance was a record high in 2015-2016, with 382 students in attendance over four weeks of camp.
The response to the Arts Encounter outreach has been tremendous, with parents, educators, and administrators alike praising the effective, innovative methods the programs collectively employs.
Here are what a few of Arts Encounter’s satisfied patrons are saying:
- “The program you have developed is truly amazing, and clearly the Museum and Gallery at Heritage Green is an underutilized resource for our schools.”– the Assistant Superintendent for Principal Supervision and School Accountability for the Greenville County Schools
- “Excellent speaker! Your instructor used examples the students could identify with. I loved her hand motions. The children had a firm grasp of the use of propaganda by the time she left. And, I must admit, she cleared up a few misunderstandings I had. I will use what she taught us in future lectures.” – 7th-grade teacher
- “Your educator is engaging as well as creative. My children enjoy the classes and find them very interesting. I have to say I find them interesting and learn new things too. The teacher is very good at keeping the interest of variable ages, and using different teaching techniques to reach all the children.”–Local home school mom, after her children attended a Homeschool Days at Heritage Green.
- “I loved learning how to read pictures. I never knew they were actually telling me something. Now I can look at a picture and understand what’s going on in it.”–Riverside High School English student, on learning how to read symbolism in a painting.
- School’s $35 price per lesson: M&G’s $35 average classroom fee is primarily a registration fee to hold the appointment and help with gas/travel expenses, and is well below the actual value of the arts-integrated programming the museum delivers.
- M&G’s $350 cost per lesson: The real cost of M&G’s arts-integrated program delivery, 90% of which is carried by M&G’s budget, (made by gifts from you, foundations, and sponsorships). As a result of these efforts by M&G to carry the majority AE’s cost, in the past 2014-2015 academic year, a full 99% of educators reported M&G’s AE outreach was either the “right price” or “underpriced.”
- Would you support us? Every year, M&G’s Arts Encounter outreach touches the lives, minds, and hearts of thousands of underserved Upstate youth, educators, and families.